Launched in 2006, Betway is now one of the leading online gambling companies in Europe and Africa. Through high-profile partnerships with West Ham United, Deportivo Alaves, the Mzansi Super League, UK Snooker Championship, and many others, Betway sports is among the most recognisable brands in the industry.
However, our Betway sports review is not based on brand recognition. This page examines, in great detail, what the Betway sportsbook has to offer punters. Do you get good value odds? Is there strong market depth? Are Betway's promotions punter-friendly? Continue reading as we cover everything you need to know.
Pros & Cons
Sports You Can Bet On
Betting Products & Features
Having been in the game for nearly 15 years, Betway sports offers punters a wide range of tools, products and features to complement the 25+ sporting and non-sporting events you can bet on at this site.
Cash-out is a staple at most leading online bookmakers these days and Betway sports is no exception. It covers a range of sports and markets. Simply, look for the cash-out icon when scrolling through the possible wagers. Another addition to Betway is the #BetYourWay Builder. This allows punters to create their own unique multiple bets, plus, it provides a list of other customers’ #betyourway selections, so you can pick one of those if you fancy.
Football Betting at Betway
This Betway sportsbook review is based on the site (and promotions) available to customers in the UK, Europe and Scandinavia, so naturally, football betting is the premier sport.
You can bet on domestic league and cup matches from 40+ countries, as well as major events such as the Champions League, Europa League, Euro 2020, and other international tournaments. Breaking it down further, all of the top countries (e.g. England, Italy, Spain, France, Germany, and so on) have multiple leagues and competitions. For instance, in England, Betway offers betting on the Premier League and Championship through to the National League North and South, and the FA Trophy.
Market depth is something that separates the great from the good in this business. For football matches from the most popular leagues, you are presented with well over 100 markets. These are divided into the following sections:
- Main Markets: Win/Draw/Win (1X2), both teams to score, first goal, double chance, correct score, half-time – full-time, 3-way handicap, and BTTS in both halves, among others.
- Goals: Total goals over/under, team goals over/under, half betting total goals and goal bands per team.
- Goalscorers: To score from a header, to score from outside of the box, goalscorer match bet, anytime goalscorer, first/last goalscorer, player to score and team to win/draw/lose, first home goalscorer, and several others.
- Halves: 1st/2nd half 1X2, 1st/2nd half total goals, 1st/2nd half BTTS, 1st/2nd half double chance, 1st/2nd half draw no bet, etc.
- Corners: Full-time total corners over/under, 1st/2nd half total corners O/U, full-time corners 3-way handicap, total corners odd or even, and more.
- Cards: Player to be carded, 1st player to be carded, total cards, total team cards, player to be sent off.
- Others: Goal scored intervals (15 minute segments), 1X2 intervals, What will happen between 1 – 10 minutes, team to lead at HT and not win, plus others.
Horse Racing at Betway
Betway sports is steadily improving as horse racing bookmaker. It offers betting on all UK and Ireland races, in addition to providing Best Odds Guaranteed and live streaming on these meetings, too.
The racecards use Timeform to provide more information about the horses, jockeys and trainers. You’ll notice the Timeform slider button on the page. When activated, a mini synopsis of each runner is shown. This certainly helps punters decide which horse to back. An area of weakness is that Betway doesn’t offer a great variety of markets. You can place win and each-way bets on most races.
In terms of international horse racing, Betway sports covers action from France, Australia, India, South Africa, and the USA, among other countries. Please note that BOG may not be offered on these events, but you can enjoy the benefits of the free bet club to grab some extra value.
Betway clearly saw the potential in esports betting very early on and it stole the march on many of its competitors in this niche. Although nearly all online bookmakers now provide esports markets, Betway is still a ‘go-to’ site for many punters. Among the Betway esports open for betting are:
The range of betting markets varies from game to game. For example, with League of Legends, you can bet on match-winner, and also on a map-by-map basis like first to kill, first to 10 kills, first to destroy a tower, team to slay a dragon, and so on.
What sets Betway esports apart from its rivals is that it gives special attention to promotions. You can pick up Esports Boosts, which are enhanced odds on selected doubles and trebles, as well as Betway Esports Objectives (described in more detail below).
Betway has a stellar range of bonuses and promotions for its sports betting customers, but what’s more important to punters is day-to-day betting value. One of the easiest methods for checking this is to calculate the margins which it sets.
- Premier League [1X2 market] – Odds: 1.77 | 3.60 | 4.75 = 5.33% margin
- Bundesliga [BTTS market] – Odds: 1.57 | 2.25 = 8.14% margin
- ATP tennis [match winner market] – Odds: 1.66 | 2.10 = 7.86% margin
- NHL [in-play match winner market] – Odds: 1.27 | 5.50 | 7.20 = 10.81% margin
- Esports LoL [match winner market] – Odds: 1.25 | 3.55 = 8.17% margin
- 14th February 2020 Overall average margin: 8.07%
Although this is only a small sample, the events chosen were at random, so we feel this is a solid reflection of Betway’s UK margins in general. Clearly, there is better value in some markets but not others. In our opinion, 10% for the in-play market we checked is too excessive, so you might not be getting the best value on these wager types.
Maximum Winning Limits
Not every Betway Sports review covers maximum win limits but this is essential information that punters should know. Below are a few of primary rules we feel are worth highlighting.
Betway Mobile App
Let’s be honest here, mobile betting is not a “new” thing anymore. Of course, an operator of Betway’s stature is geared up for punters who prefer to have a flutter on the go. Basically, you have two options. The first is the Betway mobile website. This is accessed just like any other website – open your browser, type in the domain and away you go. The other option is to download the native Betway mobile app.
There are Betway mobile apps for the sportsbook, casino, and live casino. Each application is available for iOS and Android devices. However, there are system and storage requirements. If your device is too old or there’s not enough storage capacity, then you won’t be able to install the Betway app.
How to Download the Betway App
For iOS users, the Betway Sports app can be downloaded directly from the App Store. You can use Betway’s website (using your device) and click on the Apple icon or go straight to the Store and search for ‘Betway Sports’.
The Betway iOS app has an App Store rating of 4.7 / 5 from 13,900 reviewers. This suggests that it’s fairly decent in our opinion.
With Google’s policy against the promotion of real money gambling apps being listed in the Play Store, Android users wanting to download the Betway Sports app need to get the APK file from the website. Here’s how to do that.
- 1. From your device, go to https://betway.com/app-en-sports/
- 2. Click the green ‘Download Betway Sports APK’ button.
- 3. A message will appear on your screen – click ‘Accept’.
- 4. Confirm that the Betway mobile app comes from a verified spurce.
- 5. Complete the installation.
- 6. Open the app and start betting.
Please note: some mobile apps allow you to create an account from the app while others do not – they simply provide a login option. To avoid any delays, it’s easier to create your Betway account in advance.
Betway Sports App: Primary Features
Essentially, the Betway Sports app is a custom-built mobile betting platform. All of the features described in our Betway review apply also apply to the app. Punters can bet on all of their favourite sports, such as football, horse racing, cricket, and basketball. It offers identical market depth for both pre-match and live events.
The Sports app also includes the popular Betway free-to-play promotions 4 To Score and 4 To Win. Punters can claim the welcome new customer welcome bonus and opt-in to the Betway Free Bet Club. The new #BetYourWay bet builder tool is also part of the package, as is live streaming, esports and virtual sports betting.
The Betway Sports app doesn’t include any of the virtual casino or live casino games. These can be accessed on the web-based Betway mobile platform, however. Therefore, you must consider what products you want access to. This will help you determine if the Betway app is right for your needs.
Live Betting & Streaming
Betway Sports offers a comprehensive range of in-play betting options ranging from football, tennis, basketball and esports to ice hockey, volleyball and darts. Overall, there is a decent number of in-play betting markets. However, the choice (of bets) does vary depending on the event. If you want to bet on popular live events, such as La Liga matches, you’ll find an abundance of wagers lined up for you. Furthermore, many in-play betting events have cash-out (full and partial) as well as #BetYourWay markets.
In terms of live streaming, Betway covers horse racing from the UK, Ireland, South Africa, and selected racecards from the USA, too. You can easily see which races will be streamed live as there is a small TV icon displayed. For live sports, we couldn’t see any such icons, so we assume that Betway doesn’t provide this service (in the UK), which is very disappointing.
Betway UK provides the following deposit and withdrawal options for customers registering from the UK. However, before you can deposit, you must verify your identity and address. This is common practice nowadays, and it’s very straightforward. Betway provides clear instructions for completing this procedure although it doesn’t specify how long verification will take.
PLEASE NOTE: From the 31st of March 2020, the UK Gambling Commission has banned the use of credit cards at all UK-licenced online gambling sites.
In the header section of the website, there is a button for ‘Support’. Click this, and select ‘Help’ from the drop-down menu. That opens up the help centre FAQ. Next, type in your query and choose from the options provided which relate to the question you are asking.
After reading the answer given by Betway, you’ll notice (at the bottom) a question, ‘Was this article helpful?’ If it did not answer your problem satisfactorily, click ‘No’. A link then appears ‘Click here to contact us’. You are then provided with a phone number for telephone support and a live chat button. Please note, you must be logged into your account before you can speak with a member of Betway’s customer service team.
Other Betway Products
In addition to sports betting, your Betway account also gives you access to a top drawer online casino. This is effectively divided into three sections, under the Betway Casino tab, you have a range of video slots powered by IGT, NetEnt, and Microgaming. These are among the leading software providers in the industry, which emphasises the quality of these games.
You can find more slots in the Betway Vegas section of the website along with a series of table games, including roulette, blackjack, and baccarat. The live casino is operated by Evolution Gaming. This delivers a unique authentic gaming experience where you can enjoy fantastic live dealer table games and other gameshow-themed titles.
An area in which Betway particularly impresses is in the variety of its bonuses and promotions. All bases are covered starting with a free bet offer for new customers through to daily Betway Boosts. Here’s an overview of the main offers currently available.
Betway takes responsible gambling very seriously. Offers only available to customers aged 18 or overs. Please read the full terms and conditions beforehand so that you understand the requirements of each promotional offer.
- Welcome bonus: New customers can get £10 in free bets to use how you like. That means you can place one £10 wager or ten £1 bets – the choice is yours. Payment restrictions and minimum betting odds apply.
- 4 to Score: This is a free to enter football prediction competition where you could win £250,000. Check out our comprehensive review page for details about how to play and weekly 4 to Score tips.
- 4 to Win: Another free competition; this time for horse racing enthusiasts. Pick the 4 to win from the selected races, and land yourself some big cash prizes. You’ve nothing to lose, so don’t miss out!
- Free Bet Club: We all love free bets, and that’s exactly what you get by opting into the Betway Free Bet Club. Take a look at our guide for full details and the terms and conditions of this promotion.
- Esports Objectives: One for esports bettors. complete certain objectives throughout the week and you’ll bag yourself some free bets to use the week after.
- Betway Boosts: These are daily bets with enhanced odds. Some are singles while others are doubles and trebles. It’s always worth scanning the Boosts to see what is on offer. There may be something you fancy.